2018 MacDon Industries R85 16 ft. (4.9 m)
Call for Price
An impressive leap forward in pull-type harvesting productivity.
Significantly upgraded in almost every important area, MacDon’s R85 Rotary Disc Pull-Type reinvents what a rotary disc machine is capable of. Operators will experience greatly improved durability, windrow formation and cutting speed, especially in tough, heavy or wet crop conditions.
- Exclusive Articulated Pivot Tongue (APT) Hitch: MacDon’s APT hitch allows you to pull the machine on either side of the tractor for back and forth harvesting. The vertical pivot has been moved back from the tractor to significantly reduce turning radius and make it easier to open fields. Exclusive to MacDon, the APT hitch found on the R85 Rotary Disc and A30-D pull types represents a complete rethinking of hitch design by MacDon engineers. First, they insisted that the hitch have a high capacity all hydraulic drive system to provide overload protection for all components and reduce maintenance requirements when compared to mechanical hitch designs. Next, they repositioned the drive shaft so that a straight line is maintained between the tractor’s PTO and header pump. This further reduced vibration and wear on the unit. They also rethought the hitch assembly and moved the vertical pivot back from the tractor, and allowed the front end of the tongue to extend over it. This resulted in a much tighter turning radius compared to conventional designs and the ability to pull the machine on either side of the tractor. Finally, our engineers added a horizontal pivot to fully accommodate the rolling movement of the mower during normal operation and minimize side loads on the rear of the tractor. The end of their efforts was a completely new hitch, one that improved maneuverability, reduced maintenance and made opening a field easier than ever.
- Widest Conditioning Rolls on the Market: To improve conditioning performance, the R85 Rotary Disc and A30-D pull-types have been equipped with the widest steel on steel rolls on the market (102"/2591 mm on the A30-D; 118"/3000 mm on the R85). Wider rolls result in a thinner mat of material passing through, which increases the amount of crop in contact with the rolls, improving crimping performance and ensuring thorough conditioning of the plant stem. These conditioning rolls also feature a design which more aggressively pulls crop away from the cutting discs and feeds it into the forming shield, for reduced power requirements and improved performance in both light crop conditions such as grass and heavier alfalfa type crops.
- Cut Lower, Cut Cleaner, Cut Faster: To help you cut lower and at a flatter angle we’ve both lowered the profile of the cutterbar and strengthened the design of the cutterbar cradle. These improvements combined with the R85’s sturdy frame design and excellent spring flotation system allows the operator to run the machine faster over rough terrain and still maintain a consistently clean cut.
- Stronger, Less Maintenance: The replaceable inner skin on cutterbar access hoods helps to reduce possible damage to outer cover for improved resale value. MacDon’s engineers have substantially strengthened the R85’s header frame by making sure that the top link, lower lift arms and all header parts are anchored or bolted into sturdy frame members. Operators will also appreciate the R85’s lower maintenance requirements thanks to its fewer moving parts than mechanical drive designs, and greasing intervals of 25 and 50 hours.
- Improved Capacity and Crop Handling: We’ve given the 16' (4.9 m) R85 an overshot auger to more efficiently transfer crop from the discs to the wide conditioner rolls and improve cutting performance in tougher conditions. The R85 boasts a number of new features that improve capacity and crop handling. First, we’ve added an overshot auger (16'/4.9 m model) for more positive feeding and less back feeding of crop at the ends of the header when cutting heavier material. We’ve also reconfigured the disc rotation pattern to reduce the amount of debris thrown across the cutterbar into diverging paths. Finally, we’ve added accelerators on each disc to promote better crop flow rearwards and help power through thick and tangled crop. Together, these improvements add up to significantly increased cutting capacity, smoother – more positive – crop flow and reduced crop stripping, especially under wet and heavy crop conditions.
- New Overload Protection: R85 cutterbars feature replaceable key shear protection in each hub assembly. The shafts are designed to break and seal off from the cutterbar if the disc comes into contact with a solid object. It also features a single replaceable key on the outside hubs that will shear if the disc comes in contact with an object that stops its movement. The hub can then be removed and the key replaced, allowing the operator to quickly get back to cutting.
- Sculptured Rock Guards: The R85 guards are designed to completely cover the underside of the cutterbar and cradle, these guards improve self-cleaning in sticky soil conditions.
- Transport Locks: Easy and quick to engage, the A30-D and R85 transport lock valves are activated by levers located on the hitch and on the header lift cylinders.
- Full Width Forming Shield: This easy to adjust side forming shield makes it simple to set the width of the windrow. A rear fluffer shield is also standard and is used to adjust height and density of windrow for optimum dry down.
- Skid Shoes Option: MacDon skid shoes (16'/4.9 m model shown) operate in different positions to allow for cutting in rocky conditions (three positions on 16'/4.9 m, two positions 13'/4 m). This higher ground clearance allows for excellent rock protection.
- Gauge Rollers Option: Attached behind the cutterbar to reduce wear on the cutterbar wear plate and improve the movement of the header over uneven terrain, as well as in sand or firm soil conditions. Optional for A and 16' R Series.
- Size: 16 ft. (4.9 m)
- Weight: 7,130 lb. (3240 kg)
- Effective Cutting Width: 15.83 ft. (4.8m)
- Number of Cutting Discs/Blades: 10/2
- Disc Speed: 2,530 RPM @ 1,000 PTO
- Gear Train Protection: Shearable key between spindle and hub
- Cutting Angle Range: 0-7° below horizontal
- Knife Tip Speed: 184 MPH (296 km/h)
- Transport Width/Length: 192 in. (4546 mm)/344 in. (8760 mm)
- Tractor Requirements: 140 HP (104 kW)
- Hay Conditioner Type: Intermeshing steel bars
- Hay Conditioner Length: 118 in. (3000 mm)
- Hay Conditioner Diameter: 9.2 in. (233 mm)
- Forming Shield: 36 in. (915 mm) windrow to 102 in. (2540 mm) wide swath
- Hitch: Articulated Pivot Tongue (APT), controlled by double acting cylinder with transport lockout valve for swing cylinder and articulation joint, hydraulic header lift and swing
- Wheel/Tires: 15 in. (381 mm)/31 x 13.5 - 15 NHS 8 ply
- PTO Options: 1.375 in. (35 mm) dia. 21 T. PTO, 1.75 in. (44 mm) dia. 20 T. PTO
- Options: Tall crop divider, adjustable skid shoes, transport hitch for truck, hydraulic pressure gauge, drawbar or quick-hitch (3 point) compatible
- Working Width
- 16 ft. (4.9 m)
- 192 in. (4546 mm)
- 344 in. (8760 mm)
- 7,130 lb. (3240 kg)
- Recommended HP
- 140 hp (104 kW)